Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sugar Scrub Lip Love

I should really be reading for my religious studies class, but I kind of am too distracted to do so... The weather here in Wisconsin and back home in Iowa has turned brisk a bit to soon. Walking to class in the cold and wet has made my lips super chapped. A while back I received a $10 Sephora gift card, which is like gold to a college student. I was so excited to get some makeup and then I remembered that Sephora makeup is over priced. Then I thought they have an awesome lip scrub! But to my dismay it was $25 dollars plus shipping. Even with my gift card I wasn't willing to pay almost twenty dollars for a tiny jar. 
                                 Enter Google. 
This lip scrub is a combination of the thousands of lip scrub recipes out there. I used what I had here in my dorm. Here it is. 
You are going to need 
  • 2 TBSP honey
  • 3 TBSP pure coconut oil. (I got mine from Vitacost. If you are a new member you get a ten dollar coupon. Plus shipping was only four dollars. So for my 16 oz. of coconut oil, I paid $4. It would normally be about $20 in the store.)
  • 3-5 TBSP sugar
  • Jar
I got my jar at the Dollar Tree. It used to be a candle, but we can't have candles. So I took all of the wax out (save it to melt down into Scentsy bars maybe) and cleaned it. Now mix, in your jar, your honey and coconut oil together until it is well combined or looks almost creamy.  Coconut oil melts with your body heat. It looks creamy now but as you use it to scrub your lips it will melt and be absorbed by your lips. Next mix in your sugar. Some people prefer to use brown sugar. Anna just happened to have white sugar, so that's what we used. Depending on the amount of "scrub power" you want add more or less sugar. I used 4 TBSP. It has just enough "grit" without it being to much. 
Simply enjoy! Use it 1-3 times a week to make your lips soft and lovely. I put some chap-stick on after I use it to help protect my newly scrubbed lips. After a bit, the honey might start to separate a bit. Just mix it back up and it will be as good as new!
                                          - Katelyn


  

No comments:

Post a Comment