Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Snowflake Wreath

I like using snowflakes for decoration, they can used all winter long rather than just during the Christmas season. I saw a picture on Pintrest over the summer of a wreath and I fell in love. I stared at the picture and told myself "You can totally make that! You don't even need to read the directions!" So here is my version of the snow flake wreath! 

Supplies: 
Metal Ring (I got mine at JoAnn's for a buck fifty. It was by the doilies.)
Glitter (I used silver and iridescent.)
Tulle (I got it at Hobby Lobby, 10 - 15 yards for $5. It was on sale.)
Hot Glue Gun
Mod Podge 
Plastic Snow Flakes (I found these at the Dollar Tree.)
Glitter Fabric Spray Paint (Optional)

 The snowflakes that I bought had some glitter on them but clearly not enough! :P So I brushed them lightly with Mod Podge and made 5 iridescent and 5 silver. (I was recycling my Bio test so hopefully he decides we can keep them for good, because mine is covered in glitter...)




Next I wrapped my tulle to cut it the right length. When I bought it, I bought it in a roll. This made cutting it super easy! And I still had about half (maybe a little less) of it left after I was all done. If you have the book Milkweed, it is the perfect size! If not make your tulle pieces 10-12 inches long. It all just depends on how big your frame (mine was 12 inches) is and how big you want your wreath. I did this wrapping and cutting process four times. 

Cut only ONE side of the tulle! This gives you 10-12 inch strips. 


Then knot the tulle on the ring. My knots looked like this. 

Once the the tulle covers the entire ring, you can start gluing the snow flakes on. I put a dab of glue in the center of my snowflakes and then stuck them on to the knotted part. Be sure to hold them there until the glue sets. I found that if I didn't hold them, they popped off because the tulle was pushing them up. After it was all glued together, I sprayed it with some glitter fabric spray paint. This made the tulle sparkly! But that is totally optional.

This is my finished wreath! I LOVE it. 



We were going to keep it on our door, but the people that live in our hall have a tendency of taking things off of the door. 


Happy Crafting!
-Katelyn









PS. Then this happened. Miranda and I both thought, "Hey this will totally fit over my shoulders! It's like a tutu!" Yeah that all worked until we couldn't get it back over my shoulders and I started to panic because I didn't want to have to ask my CA to cut a wreath off of me... But no worries, we got it off!



No comments:

Post a Comment